EEvery year, the IRS claims to hold about $1.5 billion in refunds for those who didn’t file. After July 15, 2023, you will no longer be able to claim this rebate for federal returns filed in 2019.

Although you can no longer file 2019 returns electronically, if you need to claim your refund, prepare and submit your 2019 tax return forms by July 15, 2023; don’t let your money go to the IRS!

You have three years to file a tax return and claim your refund without incurring a late-filing penalty. The deadline for claiming a tax refund for 2018, for example, was April 18, 2022.

Taxpayers who have not yet filed a 2019 tax return but owe a refund will have until July 15, 2023 to claim it before it is sent to the US Treasury. If you owe a tax refund, you will not be penalized for filing late. If you don’t owe taxes, you don’t need to file a tax extension.

Taxpayers who do not file a 2019 tax return risk losing more than just their refund of taxes withheld or paid during the year, as many low- and middle-income workers may be eligible for the tax credit on Earned Income, or EITC.

The credit was worth up to $6,557 in 2019. The EITC is a tax credit for taxpayers who earn less than a certain amount:

  • $15,570 without eligible children ($21,370 if married and filing jointly)
  • $41,094 with one eligible child ($46,884 if married and filing jointly)
  • $46,703 with two eligible children ($52,493 if married and filing jointly)
  • $50,162 with three or more qualifying children ($55,952 if married and filing jointly).

How to Claim a Missing Tax Refund Payment

Call 800-829-1040 for assistance or 800-829-4059 for TTY/TDD.

Complete Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Income Tax Return, and check the box on line 8 if you need salary and income information to help you prepare a delinquent return. You can also contact your employer or the person who pays your salary.

Use Get Transcript to request a statement or account transcript if you need information from a previous year’s tax return.

To file an overdue return, use our online tax forms and instructions, or call 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676) or 800-829-4059 for TTY/TDD.

You may be eligible for assistance through the Voluntary Tax Assistance (VITA) or Tax Counseling for Elderly (TCE) programs if you are having difficulty preparing your tax return. For more information, see Free Tax Preparation for Eligible Taxpayers.