If you are looking for help filing your taxes, H&R Block is the best reporting option for those who qualify for the free edition and want the convenience of multiple reporting options. H&R Block beats its main competitor, TurboTax, in terms of price, mobile app rating and free editing. The company also offers more customer support options, including in-person help at over 9,000 offices across the United States.
The deadline for filing income tax returns for the 2021 tax year is April 15, 2022. Before you begin, here’s what you need to know about H&R Block and how it compares to others.
Snapshot of H&R block
|Discount rate||$ 4.72 / 5.0|
|Cost||Federal: $ 0 or $ 49.99 – $ 109.99
State: additional $ 36.99 per state
|Does it offer a free version?||Yes|
|Outstanding Features||Has over 9,000 in-person offices nationwide
Free version covers 40 tax forms
Can import last year’s return, W-2 forms and multiple 1099 forms from different brokerage firms
You might like to deposit with H&R Block if you:
- Make a simple return and qualify for the free version.
- You have a more complex feedback and want additional advice.
- You want to be able to choose from multiple ranking options.
- You want the live assistance of a tax professional online or in person.
Not recommended for
You might not like H&R Block if you:
- You don’t need a lot of tips to file your taxes.
How much does the H&R Block tax service cost?
H&R Block offers a free online tax filing program that includes straightforward federal and state tax returns. If you need to upgrade based on your tax situation, you’ll pay $ 49.99 to $ 109.99 to complete a federal return and $ 36.99 for each state tax return.
At the time of publication, the company is offering a temporary discount. It only costs $ 29.99 to $ 84.99 to file a federal return during the promotion, which brings the price closer to TaxSlayer, the cheapest provider we reviewed.
H&R Block also offers in-person tax reporting starting at $ 69 per federal return, plus additional fees for state returns. Its desktop software, which downloads to your computer, ranges from $ 29.95 to $ 89.95 for federal returns and $ 19.95 for each state return. In-person and downloadable software options are not included in our review.
Products offered by H&R Block
H&R Block offers four online tax filing options: Free Online, Deluxe, Premium, and Self-Employed.
- Free online: Like other major tax filing services, the free online version of H&R Block ($ 0) allows you to complete a Basic Form 1040 and receive several common tax breaks such as Standard Deduction, Tax Credit on earned income, education credits and the additional child tax credit. But the free version of H&R Block is better than most, as it can also handle unemployment income, bank interest and dividends, student loan interest, and Schedules 1 and 3, for a total of 40 tax forms.
- Luxury: You may need to upgrade to the Deluxe version ($ 49.99) if you want to itemize deductions on Schedule A, if you contributed to a health savings account in 2021, or if you had a care of children and dependents.
- Premium: The Premium version ($ 69.99) – which includes everything in Deluxe – is a good choice for investors and owners who need to file a Schedule D or E or have K-1s.
- Self employed: Freelancers and concert workers can report self-employment income on Schedule C using the Deluxe or Premium editions. However, small business owners will need to upgrade to the self-employed version ($ 109.99) if they want to claim business expenses and report all business deductions and asset depreciation.
If you need additional guidance with any of these editions, you may pay an additional fee to get online support. Prices range from $ 69.99 to $ 194.99 (plus a surcharge for state returns) and include screen sharing, video calling, and support from mobile apps. Users who add Online Assist receive unlimited, personalized help from a tax expert, registered agent, or CPA.
You can import a tax return from a previous year (even from another vendor), W-2 forms, and multiple 1099 forms such as 1099-INT, 1099-DIV, 1099-B, and 1099-R. If you need to take a break from tax preparation, you can save your work and sign out, then resume using any device. The mobile app – H&R Block Tax Prep and File App – is available on iOS and Android devices and receives an average rating of 4.65 / 5 stars. You can take a photo of your forms and even prepare and report your taxes electronically in the app.
Who Should Use H&R Block’s Tax Service
H&R Block offers an easy-to-navigate interface with clear, jargon-free advice and plenty of ways to access additional help. It is a premium product with a corresponding price, so it is best for people who want extensive help options and for those who can use the free version.
If your tax situation is complicated, TurboTax may be able to guide you better through the process, even if the prices are slightly higher. TaxSlayer could be a good program for confident filers who don’t need tax advice and want the cheapest option.
About the H&R Block Tax Department
Founded in 1955, H&R Block has grown into one of the largest retail tax firms in the United States and has achieved over 800 million tax returns in its existence. The company employs more than 60,000 tax professionals who must complete at least 60 hours of training and pass a rigorous certification program. The typical H&R Block tax professional has approximately 10 years of experience and can assist clients online or at any of the company’s outlets in all 50 US states and territories, and at US military bases in the whole world. For contactless assistance, you can file your tax information in one of its offices without making an appointment.
Taxpayers can also prepare returns by going online or downloading tax preparation software. Each of the four online filing programs walks you through a simple interview-style interface, where you answer questions about your tax situation. The program enters your information on the appropriate tax forms accordingly.